Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Attempting the Absurd: Perfectly Managing Bipolar. Personal hygiene

I've always been very laid back about my hygiene. I would shower every day and brush my teeth twice a day. I would wear deodorant. However, I would also not clean my room, I would not do my laundry until I had absolutely no clean clothes left, and I would wear wrinkled clothes. Taking pride in my appearance seems to be a key step in managing bipolar. I recognize that wearing outlandish clothing could be a fashion statement, but it is not so for me. Why? It is not a game anymore. After going insane several times, the risks are too high. It's OK to be normal. It's OK to be a conformist. I never really will be bland anyway. So I might as well try my best to take pride in my appearance. It's a good thing to shave every day if you can. All of these things help to build motivation and self esteem. The self esteem built here might not be the secure self esteem of feeling unconditional love, but even what social psychologists call "insecure self-esteem" does have its place. Being presentable is worthwhile just to recover from what is no longer a game. It is serious now. Don't go crazy.

I think most people with mental illness could follow this self-care tip and it would be helpful. I've seen it written about elsewhere.

https://www.bphope.com/blog/are-you-taking-care-of-your-hygiene-during-bipolar-mood-swings/

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment