Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Bipolar and appearance

I read an article today stating that your eyes are more dazzling when manic. https://www.bphope.com/blog/your-eyes-hold-the-clues-how-to-read-the-eyes-to-spot-euphoric-and-dysphoric-bipolar-disorder-mania/
That seems to be true for me too. When I am manic people look at me and smile at me all the time. They start conversations with me out of nowhere, and I talk to them out of nowhere too. It is a full connective experience. However, it ends up strongly infringing on people's boundaries. People have even said they felt very connected to me during those states. So it is a loss, not being willing to go there. Maybe it is possible to be sane and also have the connectedness of the mania, but who knows? I suspect it's possible. One thing I'll say is that even while in samsaric, boring day-to-day life it is good to shave, get an occasional haircut, shower every day, and wear decent clothes.

I recommend the kind of unwanted self-care that people are too lazy to do, to anyone with mental illness. Sure, people even without bipolar enjoy sitting around eating pizza and playing video games. As I say a lot, though, it's not a game for us. We can't be lazy about our self-care because our lives depend on it. So it's important to shave every day, to shower every day, to exercise regularly, and to eat a little healthier than you usually would.

No comments:

Post a Comment